Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Thing 6.1 - Differentiated Instruction CAST


As I consider my current 'teaching' position, as a district trainer, the elements of differentiated instruction that I employ aren't as obvious as when I was in the classroom. I don't see my 'students' on a regular basis. In fact, I often see my students only once on any given topic in a fairly limited time frame, so the opportunities for ongoing assessment and flexible modes of instruction are somewhat limited.


Differentiation in a training setting
  • Various methods of input--video, F2F, handouts, presentations, small group and flexible grouping;  aural, oral, visual, kinesthetic
  • Pre-test--which allows me to adjust my intended presentation on the spot
  • Ongoing formative assessment -- checking in with trainees as we leave each stage to make sure no one gets left behind
  • Practice with support: Staff always have the opportunity to not only use the tools as designed but also to 'investiplay'. I always offer to stay over for those wanting more time. And will connect outside of training to provider additional support.
  • Adjustable levels of challenge: Based on the pre-test, I present differing levels of usage to accommodate.
  • which can be frustrating for my learners. I know those with less tech confidence feel left behind at times, but I also feel responsible to those that can do more. I do my best to be reassuring, but the impetus is on the learner to a certain extent. Just as in their own classroom each learner is at at different level, so too in training.



No comments:

Post a Comment